City and suburban locations in the Bunbury area include Australind, Eaton, Dalyellup, Vittoria Heights, Marlston Hill, Clifton Park, Gelorup, Mangles, Leschenault, Crosslands, Sandridge Park, Glen Padden, South Bunbury, Withers, College Grove, Carey Park, Picton, Davenport and East Bunbury. There is a full listing of Bunbury real estate in our Bunbury real estate guide.
The Bunbury region of Western Australia includes the areas of Harvey, Capel, Dardanup, Binningup, Myalup, Burekup, Boyanup, Peppermint Grove Beach, Stratham, Yarloop, Wokalup, Benger, Brunswick, Roelands, Leschenault and the Ferguson Valley with information on some of these as follows
AUSTRALIND Latitude 33 17 Longitude 115 43
Australind is located on the shores of Leschenault Eastuary, 165 km south of Perth and 12 km north east of Bunbury. Whilst, technically in the Harvey Shire it is viewed locally as a suburb of Bunbury.
In 1840 a company named the Western Australian Company was formed in England with the objective of purchasing lands in Western Australia and applying certain principles of colonisation and emigration as laid down by one of the Directors, Edward Gibbon Wakefield. This group purchased 103,000 acres on Leschenault Inlet, and named the settlement proposed there "Australind", a combination of Australia and India. A town of 1,000 acres was planned and surveyed in 1840 and 1841, but through causes beyond the control of settlers and despite the labours of the chief Commissioner, Marshall Waller Clifton, the scheme was largely viewed as a failure as an agricultural area.
Within a few years most of the original settlers had drifted away, and the Western Australian Company was wound up in 1846. Little of the planned town was ever developed, and most of it was eventually re-subdivided.
BINNINGUP Latitude 33 09 S 115 41E
Binningup or Binningup Beach is a south western coastal townsite located 153 km south of Perth and 27 km north of Bunbury. The townsite actually takes its name from "Binningup Beach Estate", a name used by a syndicate of Harvey people who subdivided the area in 1953. It is apparently an Aboriginal name, but not necessarily traditional.
By 1962 there was only one resident in the area, but many homes were built in the following few years. At the request of the Shire of Harvey Binningup was gazetted a townsite in 1963 and in recent years has grown rapidly as an alternative Bunbury residential area.
BOYANUP Latitude 33 29 Longitude 115 44
The townsite of Boyanup is located in the south west agricultural region, 195 km south of Perth and 18 km south east of Bunbury. In 1888 a railway was built between Boyanup and Bunbury, and in 1891 the government opened up land in the area by declaring the Boyanup Agricultural Area. Land was set aside for a townsite in the agricultural area, lots in the townsite surveyed in 1893, and the townsite gazetted in 1894.
Boyanup is an Aboriginal name, having been first recorded by an explorer in 1852. It is also on the main road south, and is shown on a road survey in 1869 as Boyinup. It is said to mean "a place of quartz" - Boya means "rock" or "stone".
Today Boyanup is popular as a rural residential area with a close location to Bunbury and is the gateway to Donnybrook.
Brunswick or Brunswick Junction is located in the south west between Harvey and Bunbury. It was founded around 1898, when the Brunswick railway station was opened at the junction of the Perth-Bunbury line and the newly completed Collie-Brunswick line. The town is named after the nearby river. The Brunswick River was discovered by J S Roe in 1830, and named after the House of Brunswick. The Aboriginal name is Mue-De-La.
The name Brunswick was most likely chosen by Governor Stirling, as in 1813 whilst in command of the "Brazen" (a 28 gun sloop) Stirling was sent to cruise the Atlantic Ocean along the coast of Holland, and whilst in this position was under the command of the Duke of Brunswick. (Brunswick, Duke of (Frederick William). Born at Brunswick 1771, Killed at Quatre-Bras, Belgium 1816).
BUREKUP Latitude 33 19 S 115 48E
Burekup is a townsite located in the south west, east of Bunbury. In 1910 the Railways Department requested to name a new siding on the Pinjarra-Picton line as "Boorekup", stating this was "the Aboriginal name of a wildflower that grows profusely in the locality". The spelling was altered to Burekup according to the rules of orthography used by the Department of Lands & Surveys, and the name was approved by the Minister for Lands in 1910.
Land in the vicinity was privately owned, the first development of the area occurring in 1914. Burekup was gazetted a townsite in 1973, following a request from the Shire of Dardanup.
CAPEL Latitude 33 33 S Longitude 115 34 E
Situated 17 miles south of Bunbury on the Capel River after which it is named. The Capel River was discovered by F. Ludlow in1834, but no name was applied, and it was not until Lt. H W Bunbury on the 17th December 1836 quotes crossing a considerable river with steep banks, hitherto unknown to colonists which he says was afterwards named the "Capel" by Mr Bussell after a cousin, Miss Capel Carter.
Plans to establish a townsite here were first noted in 1844, and the place was given its Aboriginal name "Coolingnup". The townsite was surveyed in the 1870's, but lots were not sold until 1897. The townsite name was changed from Coolingnup to Capel in 1899.
DARDANUP Latitude 33 24 S Longitude 115 45 E
Situated about 10 km south west of Bunbury, the Dardanup area was first settled by Thomas Little around 1852. Little built a homestead named "Dardanup Park", the name believed to be a variation of the Aboriginal word "Dudingup" the meaning of which is not known. Little gave land to the Catholic Church and attracted other settlers to the area, and a small community soon developed.
Land at Dardanup was privately owned and developed, but in the 1920's the government acquired and subdivided land here for closer settlement. The townsite of Dardanup was gazetted in 1923, and is the gateway to a rapidly growing winery and tourism area in the Fergusson Valley.
EATON Latitude 33 19 S Longitude 115 42 E
Eaton is a suburban area located on the banks of the Collie River, 6 kilometres from Bunbury. In 1949 the island in the Collie River opposite Eaton was named Eaton Island, because its original name, Alexander Island, was duplicated. Eaton was nominated by the Bunbury Road Board in honour of Mr Foster Eaton, the late fisheries and game inspector for this area. The name was given in recognition of work he had done in the area. When urban development was commenced in the area in 1951, it was at first referred to as the Collie River Estate, but was soon changed to Eaton due to its proximity to Eaton Island. Despite officially being part of the Dardanup Shire, Eaton is one of Bunbury's major suburban areas.
HARVEY Latitude : 33 05 S Longitude : 115 54 E
Harvey townsite is located in the south west 140 km south of Perth. It derives its name from the nearby Harvey River, which was named by Governor Stirling in 1829, soon after the river's discovery by explorers Collie and Preston in 1829. Although not positively known, the river is most likely named after Rear Admiral Sir John Harvey RN, Commander in Chief of the West Indies Station in 1818. Stirling was in command of the "Brazen" in those waters at the time, and Harvey recommended him for promotion. Stirling named a number of Western Australian features after his former navy colleagues.
Harvey was developed as a private town in the 1890s following the opening of a railway station there in 1893. In 1926 the Harvey Road Board sought the declaration of a townsite, but this did not occur until 1938. Today Harvey is the centre of the South West's beef industry.
MYALUP Latitude : 33 06 S Longitude : 125 42 E
The townsite of Myalup is located on the coast 149 km south of Perth and 31 km north of Bunbury. The townsite was gazetted in 1972 following demand for beachside blocks in this area. Myalup is an Aboriginal name derived from a nearby swamp. The name was first recorded by Lt. Bunbury in 1836 as Miellup, and then in 1849 by a surveyor as Myerlup. Not as popular as Binningup, but another beach alternative to Bunbury.
ROELANDS Latitude : 33 17 S Longitude : 115 49 E
The townsite of Roelands is located in the south west agricultural region, 166 km south of Perth and 20 km east of Bunbury. It is named after a property of the same name granted to the Colony's first Surveyor General in 1830, John Septimus Roe. In 1893 when the railway line from Pinjarra to Picton Junction was opened, a railway station was established at Roelands, but named Collie, after the nearby Collie River. It was changed to Roelands in 1899, because it was confused with the new town in the coalfields (now Collie). In 1909 a school was established at Roelands, and in 1916 a private subdivision was undertaken surrounding the schoolsite. In 1963 the subdivision was gazetted a townsite at the request of the Shire of Harvey.
WOKALUP Latitude : 33 07 S Longitude : 115 53 E
The townsite of Wokalup is located 144 km south of Perth and 4 km south of Harvey. A railway siding of this name was opened in the late 1890's, and a small private town developed. This was gazetted a townsite in 1963 at the request of the Shire of Harvey.
YARLOOP Latitude : 32 57 S Longitude : 115 54 E
Yarloop is located in the south west agricultural region, 126 km south of Perth and 16 km north of Harvey.
The townsite began as a timber siding on the Perth-Bunbury Railway in 1896, but spelt Yailoup, and later Yarloup, before being spelt Yarloop in 1899. Yarloop was an important timber town, mainly as a rail centre, in the late 1890's, and there is still a timber mill operating in the townsite. It was also a private town, and was not gazetted a townsite until 1962.
The name Yarloop is said to have originated from the words "yard loop"; the rail loop into the timber yard there. However, the name is more likely Aboriginal in origin. Yalup Brook is situated only about 5km north of Yarloop and there is similarity in pronunciation of the word and the early spelling variations of the siding support it being Aboriginal.
This area of our site is split into 4 sections:
Index - Keywords - Pages copyright 2004 content © Bunbury Online